Sunday, April 24, 2016

My Favorite Movies

I figured that I made a list of my favorite video games, so that I should also make a list of my favorite movies to balance it out.  The titles of the movies provide links to their purchases!


1)  Inception


Anyone who knows me know that Inception is my favorite movie.  But you guys don't know me which is why I am telling  you.  I get that this movie is either loved or hated.  I am strictly in the camp of the former.  I loved the premise of it.  I love the exploration of dreams.  I love the parallels it draws between dreaming and film making, and even film watching.  I love that it doesn't tell you if he's dreaming or not at the end (the movie has been out since 2009, you don't deserve a spoiler warning anymore).  I loved each level of the dream sequence.  Sure there are problems with it, Leo is acting on autopilot, and that the overall plot can be a bit convoluted, but I still enjoy the film overall.  In face every time I so sick that I don't want to get out of bed, I grab my laptop and play Inception.  It' just a fantastic movie in my opinion.  


2)  50/50.


This is an absolutely amazing movie.  It tackles an incredibly difficult topic, cancer in a way that really makes you laugh.  The comedy never overshadows the drama, or vice versa. I am not a Seth Rogen fan really.  But in this role he is really really good.  He plays the best friend of the main character, and when you know that one of his friends in real life had cancer, it adds an extra layer of depth to his performance.  This movie is a feel good movie, with a happy ending.  I love it and continue to watch it once in a blue moon.


3) Drive

Drive is hands down the best directed movie I have ever seen.  You can tell the director thought about every single shot, how to set it up, what lighting to use, exactly how long the shot should last, how fast to pan the shot, how to use shadows.  Everything about the directing is amazing.  How an emotional kiss is juxtaposed to one of the most brutal killing I have ever seen on film is handled is breathtaking.  I love that the jacket is a reference to the aesop’s fable of the scorpion and the frog.  Ryan Gosling's performance is amazing.  He plays a character who is very stoic, but still looks troubled and tormented when he needs to. If you haven’t seen drive, you should.  It’s a masterpiece.  

No comments:

Post a Comment